Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Chapter Nine: It's the Only Way


Here are a few more facts about Asters:

  • Asters prefer areas with cool, moist summers and cool nights in sites with full to partial sun. In warmer climates, they do not like the hot midday sun. Give plants plenty of water at the time of planting. Add mulch after planting to keep the soil cool and prevent weeds.
  • All asters have the potential to spread. They are rambunctious plants that are spread by underground rhizomes. While they make for excellent ground cover and very rarely cause any real problems in the garden, they can occasionally become quite weedy.
  • After flowering is over, all asters should be cut back hard to ground level. This will encourage the clumps to spread and develop, and it is good practice to mulch over these plants in the autumn to protect them from frost and improve the ongoing fertility of the soil.

Okay, now for Chapter Nine ...

On Sunday, I take it easy. I spent all day Saturday gardening and doing chores, and my back is screaming at me now. I hate that my body keeps reminding me I’m not a spring chicken anymore. I have a movie on Sunday night in the bedroom when I hear another loud noise, followed by Hercules barking like crazy and then the cat hissing back. Oh, good grief, not this again. I’m ready to call animal control if this stupid cat won’t quit antagonizing my mutt.

After a few minutes, Hercules enters my bedroom and jumps on the bed. “You sure told him, didn’t you?” I scratch his back, and he rolls over so I can pet his belly. It’s 9:03, and Brock is still in the attic working. Having a lawyer for a husband can be quite lonely.

I grab some water and a few cookies downstairs, suddenly feeling all alone and a bit afraid. I can’t stop thinking about this person’s text message. If I do find the ring and give it to Gray, he can find out who it belongs to, arrest them, and then we can put this whole thing behind us. I have an idea.

HEY, YOU BUSY? I text Leah.

NO, WHAT’S UP?

MEET ME OUTSIDE IN FIVE

OK … WHAT’S THIS ABOUT, TRICE?

JUST MEET ME.

K

After grabbing a small flashlight, I quietly open the door and step outside, keeping Hercules from following me, and then shut the door. It’s a balmy night. The stars twinkle in the nighttime sky, and I can hear the faint sound of crickets. It’s their mating time.

Leah’s porch light comes on a few minutes later, and she opens the door. I scrunch my eyes in that direction. My eyes are starting to go blurry at far away distances, but I can see her walk across her lawn and then across the street.

It’s eerily quiet tonight.

“Okay, I’m here,” Leah says, folding her arms.

I tell her what the person texted me about the ring and try to gauge her reaction.

“Wow, this is getting insane, Trice. The fact that this person seems to know more about this case than the police is just weird and even disturbing.”

“It is, and I keep feeling like it’s up to me to find this ring before the killer does.”

“Trice …” Leah cocks her head and signs deeply.

“I know what you’re thinking, and you’re right, but if I find this ring, we can get it to Gray and nab this person.”

Leah looks taken aback. “We?”

“Yeah, the thing is, I need someone to be my lookout while I see if I can find the ring in Deanna’s yard.” Leah looks at me like I have two heads.

“You have got to be kidding me. You know how dangerous this is, right?”

“Yes …” I bite my lip. “But, if you could just stay on the sidewalk, kind of obscure, I could do some searching. If a car comes by or you see anyone, you can duck behind the tree and text me. I have my phone.”

“Trice, I have a bad feeling about this. Why can’t you just let the police handle it?” I get it, I really do, but if I don’t do it, the killer will find the ring, and our lead will grow cold.

“Because this person, for some reason, wants to communicate with me. I can’t blow it.”

Trice shakes her head and sighs. “If I do this, promise me whatever you find that you will take it to Gray and let them deal with it.”

I lie and tell her I will.

“Okay, I’ll give you 15 minutes. I told Trev you needed me to help you with something, but he doesn’t want me out this late, especially since they found Troy dead.”

“Oh, thank you!” I hug her and then eye Deanna’s yard as I plan how to search it.

After ensuring Leah was in an obscure spot, I carefully lift the police tape and slide under it, careful not to pull any of it down. I could have used my phone’s flashlight, but I want my phone free if Leah texts me. I push the LED flashlight on and crouch low.

Ok, now the killer was searching right by what I call Troy’s grave. I drop to my knees and start searching with my free hand. I had previously pulled on my gardening gloves to protect my hands and ensure my prints couldn’t be detected. So, I begin to dig in the dirt, sweeping any leaves or mulch to the side. Even though it's warm with no wind, a cold shiver courses through my body. I can’t believe I’m doing this.

After fifteen minutes, I get up, feeling dejected. I looked everywhere I thought it could be and didn’t find it. Of course, I never thought that the killer could have already found it, but then I remember what the person texted me. They wouldn’t have sent the riddle and subsequent message about finding it if it were found.

“Psst,” I summon Leah. She comes over.

“Did you find anything?”

“No. It could be anywhere. Maybe the killer just dug the hole thinking it could be there, but who knows. It’s like finding a needle in a haystack, and to be honest, I feel like I’m going on a goose chase.”

“You know, you could send an anonymous text to Gray about the ring. Would this person even know?” Leah just didn’t understand.

“Believe me, they will know. I will have to come back another night and look some more.”

“Oh no, Trice, do we have to?” I could tell it was bothering her. I didn’t want to put her in the middle. It’s not fair.

“Lee, it’s OK if you don’t want to get involved. I wouldn’t blame you.” I could tell she was grappling with what to say.

“I will help one more time, and then I just can’t do it again, and you shouldn’t either.” I could tell in her voice and on her face, and I knew.

She was scared.

I say goodbye to Leah, watch her walk across the street and inside her home, and then head for the door when I hear an unknown voice.

“What are you doing?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Seven: Hopefully, We’ll Get Some Answers

  The begonias' beauty and the laurel tree's myth seem almost cruel in contrast to the dark cloud hanging over us. As Brock suggests...